To address the opioid epidemic throughout the state, the California Department of Health Care Services (DHCS) is implementing the California Medication-Assisted Treatment (MAT) Expansion Project with the overarching goals of:
- increasing access to MAT,
- reducing unmet treatment needs, and
- reducing opioid overdose related deaths through the provision of prevention, treatment, and recovery activities.
California's Narcotic Treatment Programs (NTPs) are ideally positioned to continue their pivotal role in expanding access to the full array of medications available to treat opioid use disorder. Through expanded and enhanced collaboration with community clinics, outpatient treatment programs, corrections departments, hospitals, and primary care providers, NTPs can continue to move California closer to its goal of dramatically increasing the availability of all opioid use disorder treatment medications throughout the state.
The NTP REACH project is designed to support NTPs in this endeavor by providing $1.5 million in subgrant funds for up to a dozen subgrantees. This funding will be awarded for the purposes of:
- collaboration, infrastructure, and personnel development;
- regional coordination; and
- referral network and capacity building to increase access to all life-saving opioid treatment medications at NTPs and promote continuum of care development.
The Request for Applications (RFA) was released on September 4th, 2019, with 20 applications received by the deadline, 5:00 PM, September 24th, 2019. A total of thirteen applications were recommended for funding by the review committee, with DHCS approving all thirteen, 12-month subgrants
Congratulations to the following NTP REACH grant recipients:
- Addiction Research and Treatment, Oakland, CA
- Addiction and Research Treatment, Porterville, CA
- Addiction Research and Treatment, San Mateo, CA
- ALT Recovery Group 2, Chatsworth, CA
- BAART, Visalia, CA
- Gold Country Health Initiative, LLC, Jackson, CA
- H.A.A.R.T. Hayward, CA
- MedMark Treatment Centers, Hayward, CA
- Santa Clara County Addiction Medicine Treatment, San Jose, CA
- Santa Clara County Addiction Medicine Treatment, San Martin, CA
- Santa Rosa Treatment Program, Santa Rosa, CA
- Sunrise Health and Wellness, LLC, Rancho Cordova, CA
- Valley Health Associates, Salinas, CA
Advocates for Human Potential, Inc. (AHP) in partnership with the UCLA Integrated Substance Abuse Programs (UCLA-ISAP) is funded by DHCS to implement NTP REACH in FY 2019-20 to achieve these goals.
- Category 1: Local or Tribal Applications
- Category 2: State Applications