ISAP Researchers' Profiles
Desirée Crèvecoeur-MacPhail, Ph.D.
Desirée Crèvecoeur-MacPhail, Ph.D. received her doctorate from Claremont Graduate University in social psychology and master's degree in clinical psychology from Pepperdine University. She has worked at UCLA’s Integrated Substance Abuse Programs (ISAP) for over a 14 years and is the principal investigator of Los Angeles County Evaluation System: An Outcomes Reporting Program (LACES). At UCLA-ISAP, she is responsible for examining engagement and retention in substance use disorder treatment programs and assisting the county in the development of a performance-based management system. She is the author of over a dozen papers and book chapters on topics such as: the Los Angeles County treatment system, methamphetamine use (overall and in special populations), treatment effectiveness, and program evaluation. Dr. Crèvecoeur-MacPhail has managed several pilot projects; the most recently pilot examined the implementation of an opioid antagonist medication. She also works with federally qualified health centers (FQHCs) to assess and improve treatment integration. She has extensive experience in health research, including quantitative and qualitative methods and outcomes measurement.
Education and Training
- University of California, Los Angeles, B.A., 1996, Psychology
- Pepperdine University, Malibu, M.A., 1998, Clinical Psychology
- Claremont Graduate University, Claremont, Ph.D., 2006, Social Psychology
UCLA Integrated Substance Abuse Programs
11075 Santa Monica Blvd., Suite 100
Los Angeles, CA 90025
RESEARCH PAPERS - PEER REVIEWED
- Spear, S. E., Crevecoeur-MacPhail, D., Denering, L., Dickerson, D., & Brecht, M. (2013). Determinants of successful treatment outcomes among a sample of urban American Indians/Alaska Natives: The role of social environments. The Journal of Behavioral Health Services & Research, doi:http://dx.doi.org/10.1007/s11414-013-9324-4
- Urada, D., Schaper, E., Alvarez, L., Reilly, C., Dawar, M., Field, R., . . . Rawson, R. A. (2012). Perceptions of mental health and substance use disorder services integration among the workforce in primary care settings. Journal of Psychoactive Drugs, 44(4), 292-298. doi: http://dx.doi.org/10.1080/02791072.2012.720163
- Padwa, H., Urada, D., Antonini, V. P., Ober, A., Crevecoeur-MacPhail, D., & Rawson, R. A. (2012). Integrating substance use disorder services with primary care: The experience in California. Journal of Psychoactive Drugs, 44(4), 299-306. doi: http://dx.doi.org/10.1080/02791072.2012.718643
- Rawson, R., Gonzales, R., Crèvecoeur-MacPhail, D., Urada, D., Brecht, ML., Chalk, M., Kemp, J., & Cunningham, M. (2010). Improving the Accountability of California’s Public Substance Abuse Treatment System. Journal of Psychoactive Drugs, SARC Supplement 6, 211-214.
- Crèvecoeur-MacPhail, D., Bellows, A., Rutkowski, B., Ransom, L., Myers, A.C., Rawson, R. (2010). I’ve been NIATxed”: Participants’ Experience with Process Improvement. Journal of Psychoactive Drugs, SARC Supplement 6, 249-260.
- Crèvecoeur-MacPhail, D., Ransom, L., Myers, A.C., Rawson, R. (2010). Inside the Black Box: Measuring Addiction Treatment Services and Their Relation to Outcomes. Journal of Psychoactive Drugs, SARC Supplement 6, 269-276.
- Rutkowski, B., Gallon, S., Rawson, R. A., Freese, T. E., Bruehl, A., Crèvecoeur-MacPhail, D., Sugita, W., Molfenter, T., & Cotter, F (2010). Improving client engagement and retention in treatment: The Los Angeles County experience. Journal of Substance Abuse Treatment, 39, 78–86.
- Crèvecoeur, D., Rutkowski, B., & Rawson, R. (2007). The Rise in Treatment Admissions for Primary Methamphetamine Use in Los Angeles County from 2001 though 2005. Journal of Psychoactive Drugs, SARC Supplement 4, 383-392.
- Spear, S., Crèvecoeur, D., Clark, R., & Rawson, R. (2007). The Rise in Methamphetamine Use among American Indians in Los Angeles County. American Indian and Alaska Native Mental Health Research: The Journal of the National Center, 14, 1-15.
- Crèvecoeur, D. Provocation, Arousal, and Bias in Hate Crimes: Cognitive Neoassociation Re-Examined (2006). Dissertation Abstracts International.
- Crèvecoeur, D., Rutkowski, B., & Rawson, R. (2002). Los Angeles County Evaluation System (LACES): Bringing Accountability to Alcohol and Drug Abuse Treatment through a Collaboration between Providers, Payers, and Researchers. Journal of Drug Abuse, 32, 865-880.
- Dunbar, E., Quinones, J., Crèvecoeur, D. (2001). Assessment of Hate Crime Offenders: The Role of Bias Intent in Examining Violence Risk. Journal of Forensic Psychology Practice, 5, 1-20.
RESEARCH PAPERS - NON-PEER REVIEWED
- Crèvecoeur, D. Methamphetamine abuse and treatment options in Los Angeles County, (2006). Psychology Briefings, 168, 5-7.
- Crèvecoeur-MacPhail, D., Gonzales, R., Rawson, R., Fielding, J. E., & Viernes, J. (2012). Increasing Accountability Among Substance Abuse Treatment Providers: Development of a Performance Management System. In J. Fielding & S. Teutsch (Eds.), Public Health in Practice: Lessons from the Nation’s Largest, Most Diverse County (pp 286 – 300).
- Crèvecoeur-MacPhail, D. Health Disparities and Substance Abuse. (2012). In R. K. Montvilo (Ed.) Salem Health: Addictions & Substance Abuse. Pasadena: Salem Press, Inc.
- Crèvecoeur-MacPhail, D. Naltrexone. (2012). In R. K. Montvilo (Ed.) Salem Health: Addictions & Substance Abuse. Pasadena: Salem Press, Inc.
- Crèvecoeur-MacPhail, D. Addiction Medications. (2012). In R. K. Montvilo (Ed.) Salem Health: Addictions & Substance Abuse. Pasadena: Salem Press, Inc.
- Crèvecoeur, D. (2009). Brain Chemistry and Addiction. In G. L. Fisher & N. A. Roget (Eds.), Encyclopedia of Substance Abuse Prevention, Treatment, and Recovery (pp. 135-139). Thousand Oaks: Sage.
- Crèvecoeur, D. (2009). Withdrawal. In G. L. Fisher & N. A. Roget (Eds.), Encyclopedia of Substance Abuse Prevention, Treatment, and Recovery (pp. 1004-1007). Thousand Oaks: Sage.
Click here to view other profiles.