ISAP Researchers' Profiles
Daniel L. Dickerson, D.O., M.P.H.
Daniel Dickerson, D.O., M.P.H., Inupiaq, is Assistant Research Psychiatrist at UCLA, Integrated Substance Abuse Programs (ISAP). His research focuses on substance use among Native Americans and on the development of culturally relevant substance abuse interventions for this population. He is currently Co-Principal Investigator on an R-01 National Institute on Alcohol Abuse and Alcoholism (NIAAA)-funded grant, “Motivational Interviewing and Culture for Urban Native American Youth (MICUNAY),” an alcohol and drug prevention research project targeting urban Native American youth. He is also currently Principal Investigator on an R-34 NIAAA-funded grant, “Utilizing Traditional Practices to Decrease Substance Use Among Native Americans,” a study that seeks to analyze the potential benefits of Drum-Assisted Recovery Therapy for Native Americans (DARTNA), a substance use treatment intervention that utilizes drumming as its core component of treatment.
Education and Training
- Berry College, Mt. Berry, Georgia, B.S., Biochemistry, 1997
- Western University of Health Sciences, Pomona, D.O., 2001
- Loma Linda University Medical Center, Loma Linda, General Psychiatry Residency, 2001-2005
- Yale University, New Haven, Connecticut, 2005-2007, Addiction Psychiatry Fellowship
- A.T. Still University, Kirksville, Missouri, 2008, Master of Public Health
- Evaluation of substance use characteristics in American Indian/Alaska Native populations
- The role of culture on substance use behaviors
- Development of substance abuse treatments for American Indians/Alaska Natives
UCLA Integrated Substance Abuse Programs
11075 Santa Monica Blvd., Suite 100
Los Angeles, CA 90025
- Dickerson D, Moore LA, Rieckmann T, Croy CD, Venner K, Moghaddam J, Gueco R, Novins DK Correlates of Motivational Interviewing Use Among Substance Use Treatment Programs Serving American Indians/Alaska Natives. J Behav Health Serv Res. 2017 Feb 24. doi: 10.1007/s11414-016-9549-0. [Epub ahead of print]
- Brown RA, Dickerson DL, D’Amico EJ. Cultural identity among urban American Indian/Alaska Native youth: Implications for alcohol and drug use. Prevention Science. 2016 Jul 23. [Epub ahead of print].
- Dickerson DL, Brown RA, Johnson CL, Schweigman K, D'Amico EJ. Integrating motivational interviewing and traditional healing to address alcohol and drug use among urban American Indian/Alaska Native youth. Journal of Substance Abuse Treatment 2016; 65:26-35.
- Jernigan VBB, Peercy M, Branam D, Saunkeah B, Wharton D, Winkleby M, Lowe J, Salvatore AL, Dickerson D, Belcourt A, D’Amico E, Patten CA, Parker M, Duran B, Harris, R Buchwald D. Beyond Health Equity: Achieving Wellness Within American Indian and Alaska Native Communities. American Journal of Public Health 2015; S3:S376–S379.
- Moghaddam JF, Dickerson DL, Yoon G, & Westermeyer J. American Indians/Alaska Natives: Findings from the National Epidemiologic Survey on Alcohol and Related Conditions Drug and Alcohol Dependence. Drug and Alcohol Dependence 2014; 144:127-33.
- Dickerson DL, Venner KL, & Duran B. Clinical Trials and American Indians/Alaska Natives with Substance Use Disorders: Identifying Potential Strategies for a New Cultural-Based Intervention. Journal of Public Mental Health 2014; 13(4):175-178.
- Dickerson DL, Venner KL, Duran B, Annon JJ, Hale B, & Funmaker G. Drum-Assisted Recovery Therapy for Native Americans (DARTNA): Results from a Pretest and Focus Groups. American Indian and Alaska Native Mental Health Research 2014; 21(1):35-58. doi: 10.5820/aian.2101.2014.35.
- Spear SE, Crevecoeur-MacPhail D, Denering L, Dickerson D, & Brecht M-L. Determinants of Successful Treatment Outcomes among a Sample of Urban American Indians/Alaska Natives: The Role of Social Determinants. Journal of Behavior Health Services & Research 2013; 40(3):330-41. doi: 10.1007/s11414-013-9324-4.
- Dickerson DL, Fisher, DG, Reynolds GL, Baig S, Napper LE, Anglin MD. Substance Use Patterns among High-Risk American Indians/Alaska Natives in Los Angeles County. American Journal on Addictions 2012; 21:445-52.
- Dickerson DL & Johnson CL. Mental health and substance abuse characteristics among a clinical sample of urban American Indian/Alaska Native youths in a large metropolitan area: a descriptive study. Community Mental Health Journal 2012; 48(1):56-62.
- Dickerson DL, Robichaud F, Teruya C, Nagaran K, & Hser Y-I. Utilizing drumming for American Indians/Alaska Natives with substance use disorders. American Journal on Drug and Alcohol Abuse 2012; 38:505-510.
- Dickerson DL & Johnson CL. Design of a behavior health program for urban American Indian/Alaska Native youths: a Community Informed Approach. Journal of Psychoactive Drugs 2011; 43(4).
- Dickerson DL, Spear S; Marinelli-Casey P, Rawson R, Li L, & Hser Y. American Indians/Alaska Natives and Substance Abuse Treatment Outcomes: Positive Signs and Continuing Challenges. Journal of Addictive Diseases 2011; 30(1):63-74.
Click here to view other profiles.